This was my 6th year riding in the Pan Mass Challenge, a 192 mile bicycle ride to raise money for cancer research, and I do it for many reasons:
- 2 of every 5 Americans will be diagnosed with some form of cancer in their lives
- Cancer claimed the lives of 600,000 Americans last year and 1.7 million persons in the US were diagnosed with cancer in 2013
- How many people do YOU know that haven’t had someone near to them suffer from cancer. Very few.
- I have lost more than a half-dozen cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents. BUT…
- …recently, due to great research, more people are beating cancer. I want to make this the rule rather than the exception.
- Life Expectancies are longer, treatments are less invasive and remission rates are higher thanks to this work
- Despite the tremendous progress being made, many researchers do not have the money that they need to perform important research.
- As a scientist, I believe in Science. I believe that there are many very smart people dealing with cancer and all they need is the right resources to make a difference. My effort is a drop in the bucket, but I believe that we can all, in our own way, make a difference.
- I can’t cure cancer. But I CAN do this ride to help fund the research. Fundraising is laborious and humbling, riding is difficult but these are sacrifices that I willingly make to add to the greater good and to help end the scourge of cancer
- 100% of every dollar donated to this cause goes directly to funding cancer research and treatment.
I ride for those who are battling cancer, those who have won or lost their battles and for the loved ones of both groups. Mostly I ride for future generations, so that one day our children and their children can routinely beat cancer.
I would ask that you help in this battle. Great research will make a difference in our lives and the lives of generations to come. My mother’s bladder cancer was done completely non-invasively whereas 20 years ago it would have killed her and 10 years ago it would have required the removal of her bladder. Your donation will help fund that important research.Your contribution matters, regardless the size. One mile at a time, one dollar at a time, we will make progress in this battle.
To contribute, you can click on this link (http://www.pmc.org/profile/JP0321) to donate online or send a check if you wish. Thanks for your consideration and for joining me in the fight.
(Learn more about the Pan Mass Challenge)